Just like last summer, I decided to make another Summer Bucket List. As a teacher, I feel pretty lucky to have the summer off with my kiddos. We are trying to take advantage of our summers off as much as we can while the kids are little and not waste our summer. Plus, we live in an awesome city that has tons of fun and free stuff to do in the summer! Thus, having a summer bucket list becomes a priority so we actually try to enjoy our summer!
Quite honestly, last summer was ideal for our bucket list since we had a fun trip planned to California and our house was being built so we really had no house work to do while we lived with my parents (I mean, we helped out of course, but had a lot less responsibility). But, I think this one’s pretty good as well, just maybe not as exciting as last years.
1. Play at Zachary’s Playground. I didn’t even know this existed until I read this article about the best playgrounds in the U.S. and this one was ranked #1 – and is literally a few miles away from where we live. I’m totally looking forward to taking MacKenna here in the next few weeks!
2. Go to the Museum of Transportation. We didn’t get a chance to go last year, so I added it back to our list this year. MacKenna will love riding the train!
3. Take a trip to Chicago without the kids. OK, so this coincides with the Rock ‘n’ Roll races, but it’ll be our first long weekend without the kids. I’m nervous to leave them both for longer than a night, but can’t wait to have a weekend away with my hubby.
4. Tour Goose Island Brewing. This is part of our Chicago trip! We have enjoyed visiting AB and Jack Daniels in the past, so this seemed like a no-brainer. Plus, they make my favorite beer ever…
5. Rub Lincoln’s nose in Springfield, Illinois. We might just have to take a little stop on our way up to Chicago to do this since we didn’t get a chance to do it last year.
6. Finish potty training MacKenna. More on this later this week…
7. Swimming lessons with MacKenna. She’s already signed up and start next week! I’m looking forward to it, especially since we will be going to the beach in a few weeks!
8. Finish up the house – hang up lights + pictures, finish bedrooms. I added this because it really does need to be a priority for us. No more excuses about not having time or money since we have both. I’m sick of looking at blank walls and lightbulbs!
9. Make a sandcastle on the beach. We took Kenna to the “beach” at the lake a few weekends ago and she absolutely LOVED the water and sand. I’m looking forward to spending some time helping her make a castle at the beach with her.
10. Run on the beach. I’ve done this in the past but I know if I don’t prioritize actually doing it, I won’t and I want to! I just don’t want blisters this time around. Any beach-running advice is welcome…
Speaking of running, happy National Running Day! Women’s Running Magazine has a great offer TODAY ONLY in celebration of National Running Day: 6 issues for only $5! This is a steal! Here’s the link to this awesome deal: http://www.womensrunning.com/nationalrunningday