It’s MacKenna’s half birthday! Going back and reading her 15 month update, it’s amazing all the things she has learned in just 3 short months.
MacKenna started walking shortly after her 15 month birthday. All of a sudden, she went from taking a step or two to walking across the room. It was like something clicked and she realized she could get everywhere faster if she just started walking.
Of course, now she wants to be down all the time. She was already pretty independent, but she has become even more independent. She very rarely wants us to carry her anywhere (unless we’re busy doing something – then she wants “up”). We try to let her have some independence, but she doesn’t understand boundaries or things that might hurt her. I try to let her walk while holding her hand, but even then, it’s a struggle to hold on to her. She just wants to go.
She’s definitely developed her own little personality. There are times when she can be really shy (like her mama), but most of the time, she’s extremely personable and wants to be the center of attention (like her dada). She wants to tell everyone high, and lately, give everyone a high five. And she will keep repeating “hi” or “high five” until you return her request. I was holding her hand while walking her through church this past weekend and as we walked past everyone, she was smiling, waving, and saying “hi”.
She’s also hilarious and doing funny things all the time. I think she tries to make us laugh and she has the most contagious giggle. She’s almost always smiling or laughing, if she’s not throwing a complete tantrum (which could happen at any time for any reason). She LOVES playing Peek-a-Boo and we can’t help indulge her just to hear that cute little giggle.
She also pretty much understands everything we say to her now, even if she can’t say the words herself. She knows to go to the fridge to get her “melk” (milk), to go to the bathroom to brush her teeth or take a bath, to go to her high chair if she’s hungry, that her coat means “bye-bye”, that “tired” means it’s time to go “nigh-nigh”, and that her socks and shoes go on her feet. She puts herself to sleep now – once we say it’s time to go night-night, she stops what she’s doing, runs to her room, knocks on the door, and let’s us pick her up to say our prayers. She relaxes in our arms, snuggles up with her glow worm, and goes right to sleep when we put her down in her crib. I’m so thankful that weaning was easy and she happily goes to bed now. Naps are another story, but it’s getting better.
18 Month Facts
- Weight: We weighed her on our scale and she’s just shy of 18 pounds. Official weigh-in is in a week and a half at her checkup.
- Clothing size: Finally broke out the 12 month clothes!
- Shoe size: Size 2 – and they’re still big on her!
- Diapers: Cloth!
- Sleep: 7:30 PM to 6 AM – or at least that’s what it’s supposed to be. Lately, she’s been waking up around 5 or 5:30 AM. Not cool.
- Food: Depends on the day. We’ve had a growth spurt the past few days and can’t give her enough food. Of course, she’s figured out how to feed the dogs at the babysitter’s…
- Words: We actually counted them last week and we are at about 70 words! She LOVES to talk!
- Likes: Spongebob (“Bob Bob”), Mickey/Minnie (both are “Minnie”), rocking in her rocking chair or sitting on the couch (both are “rock”), books, books, and more books
- Hates: Diaper changes, having to sit still and quiet during church, not getting her way, being told “no”
I just love her so much! She makes me happier than I ever though possible and I miss her every second of every day. I wish I could be with her more and can’t wait for the next 4 weeks to fly by so I can spend my summer teaching her to swim at the pool, taking her to the zoo, and experiencing her first time at the beach with her! Can’t wait to see what the next 6 months have in store for us!